Friday, April 9, 2010

a really yummy black bean dinner

Black beans are by far my favorite. I fell in love with them when I worked at Texas Roadhouse and they had a dinner called "Southwest Chicken" which was basically grilled chicken with provolone cheese (I think, it was white) and a black bean sauce over top with a side of sour cream. It was perfect, delicious; and for some reason they discontinued it :(


Anyways, ever since I've been having a secret love affair with black beans and preying that some day I'll remember to make southwest chicken for myself.

David is on a diet, and I have decided that although he is doing "shakes" and "bars" and pre-packaged things, I'm going to try to eat healthier without buying things already done or relying on someone else to measure things for me. The best diet is one where you change your eating habits permanently, otherwise you pretend you're a yo'yo and you never learn on your own. Not my goal, I want to be healthy for a life time.

I joined Eat Better America and naturally one of the "spring" recipes caught my eye because it was a BLT, with the "B" being Black Beans!

Here is the recipe, and one of the people complain about the mixture being too wet, but I'm guessing they just used more salsa than was required, because I just dumped what I has left into the bowl, and it was perfect.

Now, I must tell you, I used Everything Bagels, because they are good for everything. And I thought we had tomatoes, but we didn't. And I have a newly found passion for Raspberry Salsa, something I found at a home and garden store that literally changed my life. I also, since we were missing tomato, decided to put a thin layer of plain cream cheese on one side of the bagel. It was divine. I suggest you try it.

If you're a  fan of raspberries and want to try it with raspberry salsa try this recipe only adding 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomatoes (whats salsa without tomato?) and I also suggest using a food processor a bit so that it's not full of too large chunks, it looks good, I haven't tried it, but I will be very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment