Friday, March 19, 2010

Fun word Friday

As long as I can remember I've been one of those mildly eloquent individuals who finds words fun. I enjoy learning a new one, trying it out, having it roll off my tongue. Since it's Friday, the best day of the (work) week, I want to share with you some words I enjoy saying, for no other reason than I like them.

encompassed- to form a circle about

ferdutzt- bewildered

nonetheless- however

fantastical- highly unrealistic

baba ganoush- Arab eggplant dish. (Pretty yummy, really fun to say)

*heteronym- A pair (or group) of heteronyms are words that have the same spelling (they are homographs) but different pronunciation (they are heterophones) and also different meanings.
examples:
Excuse: Please excuse me while I think of an excuse.
Polish: Tell the Polish cleaners to polish the floor.
Minute: The button was so minute that it was a minute before I found it.
Wind: Hopefully the wind will be strong enough to wind the windmill.
Record: It's the referee's job to record the new world record.

* I just like that this exists. I think it's funny. No wonder English is so hard to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment