Thursday, January 27, 2011

not exactly the way to my heart

I got asked out today by a fellow match dot com-er who I have officially been talking to for, wait for it...

One day.

He emailed me this morning asking for my phone number, I emailed him back giving it to him and we've been texting for approximately and hour and a half...

5 texts later he asked me to dinner.

Naturally I accepted. I love dinner.

But here is where he rubbed me wrong:

him: Do you have class or work today? (I'm re-reading your profile now)

What he actually means by re-reading is reading. For the first time. Because he admitted in his original email that he had just skimmed my profile.

me: I'm not in school right now because I originally started out studying music Education and decided two years in, it wasn't for me. Now I'm ready to go back and will be studying nursing starting in May but I won't know if I'm accepted into the program (30 people per session get accepted) till March but because I'm brilliant I should have no problem. That and my good looks.

him: Intelligence idk yet. But looks I agree :-)

First of all, I hate IDK, just like I hate BTW and people (my sister, the English teacher) who say them out loud. Secondly, please do not tell me you're finally re-reading my profile after asking me for my number, then tell me you think I'm hot but you don't think I'm smart.

I'm very smart. I try not to be annoyingly smart when I talk to people because no one wants to hear about statistics and facts about the brain over a few cocktails even though that's all I'm thinking about. If a guy doesn't appreciate me for my brain it doesn't matter how cute he thinks I am.

I've never dated a guy before who wanted me to be his arm candy (mostly because I'm mildly to moderately outspoken and usually say something inappropriate because it's hilarious and I like to make people squirm). I will never be any ones arm candy. I may have arm candy in the future when I am a billionaire from writing a book or singing something really well, or possibly this blog gets as famous as the pioneer woman's or something... but arm candy is such a waste of time.

I've never slept with someone more than once that I found to be anything less than intelligent and hilarious.

I have two standards. You must be smart and you must be funny.

 If I get to choose you'll have glasses and be over 6ft tall.

If I really really get to choose you'll have dark hair and green eyes so we can make little baby clones of ourselves.

Basically all I ask is that you like me for the reasons I like me. And don't downplay how important my intelligence is. I'm not looking for a guy who doesn't value my opinions and input.

 And never say IDK... ugh.

11 comments:

  1. IDK is almost worst than saying 'u' instead of 'you'. Yeesh. I'm totally with you on that one. Lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hate me know because I say idk and btw...ahhh! I may go cry now...Please still love me!

    And this guy sounds tool-ish. I m know I'm an ocean away, but I still can smell an asshole from far away. lol! At least you get to go to dinner! (Get a Strongbow ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't mind talking about statistics over cocktails. Stats were my favorite part of my political science classes. Also, I can't stand lol, mostly because it is overused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This was such a cute post!

    Good luck with the new guy. TTYL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say beeteedubs outloud. Feel free to hate me now. :(

    I get what he was trying to do there, like I see it, but it wasn't very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Basically all I ask is that you like me for the reasons I like me." Fucking love it, Denise. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IDK, 4 instead of for, people who don't know the difference between to, too and two, or your and you're.... all pet peeves.

    Yes, intelligence is important. I once stopped seeing a guy because when the possibility of watching a subtitled movie came up he said, and I quote: "I don't watch subtitled films. If I wanted to read, I'd read a book".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, that would rub me the wrong way too. I could never be somebodys arm candy. Haha. I have way too much of a personality just like you do. Im glad you have good standards for yourself. :)

    <3Chelsea Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe he downplayed your intelligence like that... I would be so pissed off! I don't think anyone that uses IDK has any right to question someone's intelligence, seriously! I think you should be annoyingly smart around him, and, possibly also be really smug about it, because, that is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. he sounds like a major jerk and a total waste of time, energy, and atoms...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me LMFAO! Ugh... I tried to be funny, but it's soooo early. Seriously though, this is a funny story with some great one liners!

    ReplyDelete