Friday, May 7, 2010

plans for the "mothers day"

I have a mother. I'm lucky, because she is pretty awesome and she is alive. For quite some time she has been sick, and the doctors had no idea what was wrong with her. She has been on some pretty intense meds and they are working for the most part, but she's not all the way better yet.

I thought I'd share my mothers day plans with you, because my mom can never remember how to look up my blog so I'm not worried if she sees this, and I'd like to help you out if you are still struggling for ideas.

one year I gave my mother this

It's a photo of me and my sisters eyes (mine being in the middle) framed and that's pretty much it. It cost me 28 cents or whatever per photo plus the frame which may have been $10. So what I'm saying here is that it wasn't expensive and she loves it. She actually told me that if the house was on fire that's the first thing she save. That's a pretty good compliment, no?

So this year I have the idea of doing a feet photo, of me and my sisters toes in some grass on on a shore line with water coming up. I haven't had time to take the picture yet. I'm actually on the phone right now trying to get my sister to answer so we can make plans to do this. She never answers the phone.

The reason things like this are good is because mothers probably already have everything they need, and since most of our parents are now empty nesters and all they have are baby pictures of us it's nice to get a new photo of their kids. It's also nice because it's one of those gifts that showed how much time and thought you put into something, not just money.

Remember, it really is the thought that counts.

Next, I will be cooking some yummy eats for her and the fam. If you've never cooked before and are looking to impress let me give you some good, super easy recipes, that look like you did a lot.


Roasting a Chicken. so easy,  and everyone will think you're some kind of professional. If you've never heard of The Pioneer Woman I understand, but from this point on you must remember her. She is huge in the blogging world and her site on cooking is great for people like me who have no knowledge whatsoever of anything cooking. I've learned a lot from her, and in fact I cook all the time now and impress people left and right.

You can impress people too.

After you amaze people with your mad roasting chicken skills, and if they don't believe you did it they just have to use their noses because your house will smell like heaven; you should make some sort of side dish. I haven't decided yet what I'm making, but I think it'll be corn casserole that my friend Adrienne makes and sweet potato casserole which is so easy you'd fall out of your chair.

Here's how you do it:

Bake 8 or so largish sweet potatoes (remember to poke a few holes with a fork or they'll explode)
   This takes anywhere from a hour and 15 to an hour and 30 on 375°
after they've cooled cut a slit in the top and scoop out the good stuff with a spoon.
put it in to a bowl and mix it with a splash of milk and 3 to 4 tbsp of butter
   this can be done with a stand mixer, a hand mixer, or even a potato masher. If you use a potato masher your arms will get tired, but it'll be imperfect and that is perfect when you're cooking.
put it a casserole dish and make peaks with a fork.
Sprinkle with brown sugar and of you like them, walnuts
bake for about 15 more minutes or until the stuff on top gets caramelized and gooey

If that doesn't warm your mothers heart she is either diabetic or doesn't like sweet potatoes. Either way if she loves you like she should she'll tell you it's great, and it really is.

Now for a desert. Strawberry Rhubarb pie is the thing of the spring season, but to be honest I don't feel like making pie crusts and all that nonsense. I was thinking of making this because the crust looks good enough to just eat by itself, but most people in my family (ie: me and the older sister) are allergic to milk and I don't feel like risking the sickness that comes 50% of the time. So I settled on cobbler. This Cobbler to be exact, except I may use strawberries, because that'll require less sugar on top since they aren't as tart.

If you decide on cobbler remember Ice cream, that's very  important.

Happy Mothers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment