Friday, June 4, 2010

Denise and God

My mother is one of those people who sees God in everything... Maybe it's because she reads her bible every day and is constantly reminded of it, but no matter. She sees opportunity to learn and grow in her faith every day. I'm not calling my mother a devout Christian, I'm not saying she is better than whatever or whoever because she talks about God every 15 to 20 minutes; because in all honesty I think she is sort of hypocritical because shes a lotta talk... But, I just wanted to start off by saying I will talk about normal things happening in my life with my mother and it will normally turn into a religion lesson.

I love God, I believe he created the earth. But I do not believe like my mother does, because, well, I just don't. I fell in love with a gay man, and that was the first thing that made me question aspects of the faith I grew up with. I believe God made and loves each and every one of us the exact way we were made. I believe that He knew we'd sin but I also believe that the way He created us He intended for us to be curious.



Once again I will talk about Adam and Eve by mark Twain:Imagine not knowing about anything till you see it, experience it. Imagine seeing something, then knowing what it is, but not before. Not even knowing it's exists before, let alone what it is. Imagine you're an adult, fully developed with cognitive reasoning skills but having only seen (therefore being aware of) a minute amount of physical exposures. Imagine that the first time you see something you learn all about it, you conduct experiments and you discover. Then one day you are told not to sin, or you'll die.

Ooo.. die. You've never heard of that, what is it? And sin? Well, you've never heard of that either. So, you do what you're not supposed to, and you do it because you want to learn. We are pretty curious, after all. God made us that way for a reason.

I'm pretty sure God knew we would sin, but he wanted us to know every joy there is to experience; and to have joy, you must have sorrow. To be able to live you must die. Makes sense, right? I don't know if he put us here with the intent of killing us... but how else would we get back to heaven? And why would we want to go there if everything was perfect here?

I believe that God loves us. I believe that if he didn't he wouldn't have cared about our experience here on earth, therefore not giving us the opportunity to be curious, and in doing so eliminating our free will, death, and pleasures of the flesh. He wouldn't have given us love, or beauty. He wouldn't have given us the ability to distinguish good from bad. He wouldn't have cared at all about how we felt or if we were happy. If God had wanted mindless drones worshiping Him without the ability to make a decision for them self He would have made just that: someone unable to chooses right from wrong, someone who wouldn't stray and then come back; someone who wouldn't have any desire to be part of something bigger than them self, someone who could care less about exploring the wonderful world set before them. But that's not what we are, and I believe that is how God intended it to be.

He gave us this beauty, and the ability to appreciate it. He gave us thrust for love and affection, so that we could experience pure bliss that only comes from loving someone else, and being loved in return. He gave us science and math, so we could understand the mastery and intricacy of his world. He gave us all of this, and we enjoy it; because that's one of his gifts to us.

Now, let me get to where I want to go. Did you know people really only have the ability to see what they've already seen. We have this amazing power of our minds

Side note: thank you radio lab for making my life complete. Check out this one if you're sort of confused by what I'm about to say, or just curious for more. What I'm about to talk about is 30 minutes or so in.

where we can change what we've seen and imagine them differently, but only to the extent of what we've already seen. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say exactly, but It's like looking at red a car and imagining it being blue instead. We can do that because we've seen the car, and we've seen blue. Makes sense, right? Human minds are the only ones that have that capability. However, we can't imagine the car being something we've never seen. It's like imagining red when you're color blind. You can't imagine it because you've never seen it.

Remember in The Giver when Jonas first sees red, and he has no idea what it is? He is amazed to find out that the memories have elements present in his world of gray. It makes even the simplest of tasks such as getting dressed so much more complicated because there is now color to chooses from. Before the red he didn't care, but after it seemed like everything changed.


You following me?

Where I'm going with this is that we are the way we are for a reason. I believe everything was planned. I believe that God created what he did, and made us the way we are for a reason.I believe in love, and forgiveness. I believe that no matter who you are you can do good things, and you can do them well. I believe that no one should be ashamed of who they are, because that's how they were made, for a reason, by the big guy upstairs.

A while ago I was having a convo with David about how Adam and Eve was an unrealistic idea because of cells. They need nutrients to reproduce, and matter doesn't come from no where so they had to consume food in order to live, reproduce, and keep making more people. It's a scientific impossibility that something comes from nothing (as in more people, not the ones God created). Well this guy seems to prove that theory all wrong. Read the article, see for yourself.

It's mighty strange, but it does put a boost in my faith. Which is always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment